Welcome to Charleston, eclipse viewers and science nerds! We are so happy you're here. At Art Mecca of Charleston, we too are science nerds. In fact, we were just looking at some of our fantastic nature photography shots and had a discussion about whether or not the Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja) is related to the Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus). Okay it's a mammal, so nope.
Anyway, we hear there are people visiting from all over the world - so we thought we'd share some our favorite nerdy Charleston spots - and some tips to help you live like a local while you're here.
7 Sciencey Things to Do in Charleston
1. Coastal Expeditions Kayak or Boat Trip - Take a boat or kayak trip through the marshes with a guided tour to get the most out of the experience.
2. HOBA - Like an Uber for boat tours, download the Hop On A Boat Anywhere (HOBA) app and go fishing, sailing, or just tooling around. For extra credit, have your captain take you to Shark Tooth Beach at low tide.
3. The Charleston Museum - Small but mighty, our museum is jam-packed full of cool natural history and artifacts you won't see any where else.
4. Charleston Water Taxi - Spot dolphins and pelagic birds while you enjoy the sea breeze. Ride from downtown across the harbor to the Mount Pleasant side, head to the roof top bar of the Fish House and have a drink while checking out the Holy City skyline. You can also get a nice Dark & Stormy at the Reel Bar in the Charleston Harbor Resort, $10 gets you an all day pass to the taxi, and riding it around in circles all day is totally legit.
5. Birds of Prey & SeeWee Restaurant - This is a twofer and you'll need a car. Visit the Birds of Prey Center in nearby Awendaw on Friday or Saturday, then stop for a really real Charleston style lunch at the SeeWee Restaurant.
6. Art Mecca of Charleston - We have over 40 local artists, including some incredible nature photographers, found-object artists, metalsmiths, and more. Your eclipse t-shirt will be worn to shreds next year - commemorate your visit with something lasting.
7. 32.7894° N, 79.8852° W - These are coordinates to a secret restaurant. We just call it The Wreck. It's not marked. Look for the red buoy at the drive. Go hungry. Shhhhh....
Tips for Enjoying Charleston Like a Local
Charleston is a quirky town. Here are some things to know:
1. People actually are just that nice. If someone invites you to tour their garden, there are no strings. Just enjoy.
2. We are 100-years-ago polite. Give it a whirl. It's fun.
3. It is respectable to have your first drink at breakfast. That's why we're so polite the rest of the day.
4. It's hotter than Hell's house cat here. Wear sunblock. Drink water. Drink more water. There are public restrooms near the pineapple fountain at Waterfront Park.
5. To get around, walk or ride a rickshaw taxi. It's a small town, you can cover it all on foot.
6. Kids sell Palmetto roses on the street. Buy them. We do.
We hope you have a wonderful time in Charleston this weekend. Please come see us at Art Mecca and let us know if you've done anything fun on our list!